Popular Pages


The Cumberland County Animal Control Department receives numerous calls from citizens inquiring about services as well as how to handle injured animals, what to do if bitten, etc. Compiled below are the most frequently asked questions and their answers. Please select an area from the list.


General Information

Does the County have rabies clinics? If so, when and where is the next one?Yes. During the entire month of April and a day clinic in October. The clinics are held in conjunction with the Department of Public Health and local veterinarians.


Does Animal Control provide emergency service 24-hours a day? If not, who do I call in an emergency?
An Animal Control Officer is available 24/7. For emergencies after 5 pm, weekends and holidays, call the Sheriff's Office at 910-323-1500 and ask for an Animal Control Officer's assistance.


What are the Animal Control Shelter's hours of operation? Where is the Animal Control Shelter located and how do I get there?
See the 
Animal Control main page.


If I find an injured animal, what should I do?
Call Animal Control at 321-6852.


Who do I notify in the event I find or see a dead animal on the side of the road?
Call the Department of Transportation (DOT) for animals found on County roads at 486-1421. Call City of Fayetteville Sanitation for animals found on city roads at 433-1511.


If an animal runs out in the road and I hit it, is the owner of that animal liable for any damage to my vehicle?


Can I bring an unwanted pet to the Animal Control Shelter?
Yes, Cumberland County residents may bring unwanted pets to the shelter. There is no charge to bring animals to the shelter.


Are all animals brought to the shelter, whether they are strays or unwanted pets, euthanized after 72 hours?
No. Strays are held for 72 business hours as mandated by state law. They may be adopted on the 4th business day, if adoptable, depending on the animals health and behavior. Owner surrendered animals are immediately available for adoption. We do not guarantee adoptability of any animal.


Are there any other shelters in the area where I can take an animal that I can no longer keep?

Fayetteville Animal Protection Society
3927 Bragg Blvd
Fayetteville NC, 28303
Hours: Tuesday to Saturday 1 to 5 pm
Phone: 910-864-9040 or 910-864-2077

This agency has its own guidelines and procedures for adopting or taking in animals. Please contact this agency for further information.

If you live outside Cumberland County, contact the county animal shelter where you live.

Return to top of page


Animal Bites

If I'm attacked or bitten by an animal, what should I do?
Call Animal Control at 321-6852 to report it and try to locate the owner of the animal, if possible. Then seek medical attention if the skin has been broken.

Return to top of page



Can anyone adopt an animal from the Animal Control Shelter?
Yes. As long as they are 18 years of age or older and have valid identification. Any outstanding fines or fees must be paid. Animal Control retains the right to deny adoption to individuals who have a history of violations of state law/county ordinance, or who have a history of surrendering pets to the shelter.


What types of animals are available for adoption?
Dogs, cats and various other domesticated animals.


How much does it cost to adopt an animal?
the Pet Adoption Fees page.

Return to top of page



Is there a limit on the number of pets I can have?
Yes and no. On property that is a half acre or less, a maximum of three (3) adult dogs (5 months or older) are permitted; there is no limit on the number of cats. Consult the ordinance for restrictions on pigs, rabbits and chickens.


What are Cumberland County Laws and Ordinances on keeping a pet?
Animal Control Ordinance page.

Return to top of page



I have a dog or cat, do I need a license?
Yes, a county license is required for each dog and cat, the cost is $7 per animal if the pet has been spayed/neutered, however, if the pet is not spayed/neutered the fee for each animal is $25. Licenses are available at the Cumberland County Animal Control Office or most veterinary clinics. 

Please fill out the following form and send it to the address provided on the form:
Pet License Application

Return to top of page


Lost Pets

I've lost my pet, what should I do?
Visit to search the database of lost pets and post your pet's information. Call Animal Control at 321-6852, better yet -- come by the Animal Control Shelter on a daily basis; post signs; call local veterinarians; ask neighbors and thoroughly check your neighborhood.

Return to top of page


Found Animals

I have found a dog or cat, what should I do?
Call Animal Control at 910-321-6852; have the pet scanned for a microchip at any veterinary hospital or at Animal Control; post signs; call the veterinarians located in the area the animal was found to find out if anyone has reported their animal missing; and ask neighbors.

Return to top of page



Can I make a donation of food, pet supplies/accessories, etc. to Animal Control? Yes. We can accept material items such as carriers, food, toys, leashes, cat litter, collars, etc. at the Animal Shelter.

If I make a monetary donation to Animal Control, is it tax deductible?
Yes, donations to the Injured Animal Stabilization Fund, Animal Enrichment Fund or Animal Medical Fund are eligible for tax deduction.

Return to top of page


Animal Cruelty/Mistreatment

What is animal cruelty?
Any abuse or neglect of an animal. For example, a pet owner could be cited for animal cruelty for failing to provide water, shelter or veterinary care if the animal is injured. (See 
Cruelty to Animals under regulations).


There's an animal tied up all day with no water, food or shelter -- who should I report it to?
Call Animal Control at 321-6852.

Return to top of page

Impounded Dogs and Cats

I received notification that my missing pet has been impounded at the Animal Shelter. How do I retrieve my pet? Is there a cost?
Come to the shelter and bring proof of ownership, rabies vaccination and County license. There is a cost of $30 for the first day and then $10 per day for every day in our custody; additional charges may include $10 if not vaccinated against rabies. There is a cost of $7 or $25 for a pet licences, if unlicensed and any additional fines and penalties that have been assessed.


If my animal is impounded will it be spayed/neutered?
Yes. The Cumberland County Animal Control ordinance requires that all animals picked up off of he owner's property will not be returned to the owner unless they are spayed/neutered. The owner will be charged a discounted rate for the cost of the neutering/spaying.


If my pet is impounded, how long do I have to retrieve it from the shelter?
You have three business days unless the pet has identification tags or a microchip and then it is held for 5 business days.

Return to top of page


Contact Us

4704 Corporation Drive
Fayetteville, NC 28303

Phone:  910-321-6852
Fax: 910-223-3357

Director: Elaine Smith, RVT
Shelter Hours
Mon. - Fri. 11 a.m. - 5:30 p.m.
Sat.             1 p.m. - 5 p.m.

To report animal bites or injured animals after normal hours, call the Sheriff's Office at