What is the Public Service Program?
The purpose of the Public Service Program is to provide funding for the start-up or expansion of programs that provide services for low and moderate income residents.
Eligible activities include, but are not limited to:
- Job skill training and/or retention services;
- Transportation assistance;
- Health services;
- Substance abuse treatment or prevention;
- Recreational activities; and
- Shelter or services for the homeless.
An activity or project must meet one of three National Objectives:
- Benefit to low and moderate income persons; OR
- Prevention or elimination of slums or blighted areas as pre-approved by HUD; OR
- Other urgent needs (as in a national disaster declared by the President or state declared disaster)
Eligible participants are non-profit organizations and units of local government (under certain conditions).