Anyone wishing to practice as a tattoo artist must complete an application for a tattooing permit.
All tattoo and permanent makeup artists are required to have:
- Autoclaves in each studio for the sterilizing of tattoo instruments
- Sink(s) for hand washing
- Proper storage and disposal of solid waste
- Studios kept clean and in good repair
- Records are kept for all autoclave tests and clients
- Artists must demonstrate knowledge of proper aseptic techniques
Upon meeting these standards, the artist will be issued a permit.
Environmental Health Fee ScheduleImportant Documents
**Note: Body piercing is not regulated under NC Public Health laws or by Cumberland County ordinance.**