Popular Pages

Applying for Services

Services are available to anyone, regardless of income, who is the custodian responsible for a child, who is a non-custodial parent, or who is owed arrears from a court order in which ongoing support has ended.

Families who receive public assistance through Work First and some Medicaid programs receive services at no charge and may automatically be referred from the Department of Social Services to the local Child Support Department when they apply for those services. Cooperation with efforts to pursue paternity and support is required as a condition of eligibility for some of the public assistance programs.  When these cases are referred to the Child Support Department, the custodial parent will receive an appointment in the mail. The custodial parent will need to come into the agency on their appointment date, complete an application and be seen by a child support intake specialist.  If an appointment cannot be kept, the custodial parent may contact the Child Support Department to reschedule.

Non-Public Assistance families are charged a non-refundable $25 application fee; payable in the form of cash or money order. The applicant may be eligible for a reduced fee of $10 if their income falls below poverty level guidelines. Screening for a reduced fee may be done at the applicant’s request.  If the applicant is the custodial parent and already has an open case with child support, they will not be charged a fee to open an additional case. The applicant may call or come into the Child Support Department and request an application. The applicant can request to be seen that day, however, it is important to know that scheduled appointments are seen before walk-ins. Applications are taken Monday-Friday between 8 a.m.- 4 p.m.

All applicants will need to provide the following with their application:

  • A copy of birth certificates for all children
  • The affidavit of parentage for all children signed by both parties
  • A copy of Social Security cards for applicant and all children
  • A copy of any child support, custody, and or domestic violence protection orders, separation agreement and/or divorce decrees.  If your order was established in another state or country, your assistance obtaining certified copies and/or translations of the order may be required.
  • Verification of income
  • Proof of child care
  • Proof of health insurance
  • Proof of other children in the home that services are not being applied for
  • Information regarding the noncustodial parent including social security number, date of birth, address, employer, photos, etc.

Contact Us

109 Bradford Avenue, 4th Floor
Fayetteville, NC 28301

Phone:  910-486-1092

Director: James E. McQueen

Hours: Monday-Friday
8 a.m.-5 p.m.

DHHS Customer Service
Call Center:

Mailing Address
PO Box 1829
Fayetteville, NC 28302-1829